Zoe Leonard- I Want A President (1992)
Oh lord this is fucking great. Not super familiar with Zoe Leonard’s work, but judging from this piece and the fact that they were friends with David Wojnarowicz, I’m gonna wager that they’re pretty cool. They mostly seem to do photography, will check it out.
Also, it seems like this text has been used in an interesting group art activism thing during elections in Sweden.
“Uhura” comes from the Swahili word UHURU meaning “freedom”. Uhura was pretty much the first ever black main character on American television who was not a maid or a domestic servant in 1966. TV network NBC refused to let Nichelle Nichols be a regular, claiming Deep South affiliates would be angered, so Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry hired her as a “day worker,” but still included her in almost every episode. She actually made more money than any of the other actors through this workaround, and it was kept secret from the other actors, but it was still a humiliating second-class status. The network people made life hard for Nichols, constantly trying to pare down her screen time, purposefully dropping racist comments in her presence and even withholding her fan mail from her. This deplorable state of affairs led Nichols to make the decision to quit after the 1st season, but then she happened to meet the Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr. who pleaded with her to stick with the show because as a Black woman she was portraying the first non-stereotypical role on television.
RE-BLOGGING AGAIN BECAUSE TODAY IS THE 46TH ANNIVERSARY OF STAR TREK AND UHURA IS A BABE AND NICHELLE NICHOLS IS AWESOME!
- after Star Trek was cancelled, she volunteered for a special project with NASA to recruit minority and female personnel for the space agency
- those recruited include: Dr. Sally Ride (the first American female astronaut), United States Air Force Colonel Guion Bluford (the first African-American astronaut), Dr. Judith Resnik and Dr. Ronald McNair (who both flew successful missions during the Space Shuttle program before their deaths in the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster), Charles Bolden (current NASA administrator), and Lori Garver (current Deputy Administrator).
- she flew aboard NASA’s C-141 Astronomy Observatory, which analyzed the atmospheres of Mars and Saturn on an eight-hour, high-altitude mission
You know whats funny, I was actually JUST thinking about this earlier today.
And finally revealed in the most recent (2009) movie was her especially appropriate first name: Nyota, meaning “star” in the same language.
Nyota Uhura: The Star of Freedom.
Fact: On my way to work yesterday I was wondering how long it would be before they did this.
So now we don’t even need men to have kids.
we don’t even need men to have kids
Two things that just happened:
I just had an image of feminists killing off all men and raising a flag on top of the highest peek of the Earth claiming this to be a woman’s planet. Keeping men in cages for pleasure or just killing them all off.
and the second thing was
I cried a little. Yes, I loathe children. But… I the thought of possibly having a child with my future wife that is ours and ours alone… I’m in tears.
WE DID IT
WE NO LONGER NEED MEN
Yeah.. I got honked and/or cat-called every 2 minutes the entire 20 minute walk home from work today…
In other words, let the killing spree commence
This has far greater significance beyond merely the ability of singles or non-cis couples to bear children. We can now control our own breeding down to a science beyond the original limits of biology - in other words, when this is enacted on a wide scale we will be more or less controlling our own evolution as a species.
What this will result in, I leave to you to imagine.
What if Everyone Jumped at Once?
Remember: even if you got an F, you DECIMATED that damn quiz ;).
but, bbygrl, why a tura satana appreciation day?
[tw : rape]
- she’s a total babe. duh.
- she’s japanese, filipino, cheyenne + irish.
- she was simultaneously a straight-a student in school while being viciously bullied for her heritage + size and punished by her parents for getting into fights. i mean, even without the straight a’s, she was strong and endured feeling isolated at home and at school.
- she’s a fellow rape survivor — “Walking home from school at the age of nine she was gang raped by five men. According to Satana, her attackers were never prosecuted and it was rumored that the judge had been paid off. She tells how this prompted her to learn the martial arts of aikido and karate and, over the next 15 years, track down each rapist and exact revenge. ’I made a vow to myself that I would someday, somehow get even with all of them’, she said years later. ‘They never knew who I was until I told them.’”
- she began living on her own at the age of 13, after her parents married her to a 17-year old and she wasn’t having that bullshit. i can’t even imagine what that was like.
- she was an extremely successful burlesque dancer, and even when she got pregnant at 19 she danced through the first eight months of her pregnancy! and yeah, she still made BANK.
- faster pussycat! kill! kill! — a cult classic john waters apparently calls the greatest movie ever made. i still haven’t seen it, but from what i’ve read it portrays the three female leads (tura satana is the LEAD lead) in positions or power that normally men are portrayed in, and that’s allll the way back in the 60’s. she did all her own stunts and fight scenes. the majority of satana’s styling and one-liners, and some additional key concepts of the film, were satana’s own doing.
- after being shot by a former lover and staying in a hospital, she decided to study nursing and she did just that. she even briefly worked as the dispatcher for the lapd.
tura satana passed away on 2/4/2011, but she’s still amazing and one of my inspirations as a woc, especially as a mixed-race asian rape survivor struggling to embrace my sexuality. <3 and that’s why i’m giving her her own day! just who she was makes me feel good about me.
all facts taken from tura satana’s wikipedia page
First 360 degree colour panorama from Mars rover Curiosity
And this isn’t even full resolution people. That we have such a machine out there - a whole frickin’ nuclear powered, fully decked-out mobile chemistry and geology lab, for that matter - WE ARE TOUCHING THIS PLANET AND SOON WILL GRASP IT WITH OUR OWN HANDS FULLY. AND THAT THOUGHT GIVES ME JOY. :)))
Runner without country to compete at Olympics
Guor Marial ran for his life to escape a Sudanese child labor camp. Now he will get to run at the Olympics.
Marial’s heartwarming rise from a fearful kid who hid in a cave, fled his war-torn homeland and finally arrived in the United States as a refugee took another incredible turn Saturday.
Despite having no passport and officially no country — and at one time very little hope — the 28-year-old marathoner was cleared by the IOC to compete at the London Games under the Olympic flag.
(click-through for full story)
SO MUCH FACE RAINING.
I’m cheering for this dude.
Are you one of those awesome three in the non-affiliateds group who ran a mock sprint, were jumping around like madmen and having a hell of a time, more so than nearly every other athlete in the stadium? I know not, but kudos to you anyway :)
The Justin Bieber Show
NOT WHAT YOU THINK ;D
If you’ve never read these, they’re absolutely brilliant. No difference from the things you find on bathroom walls today.
A few favorites:
Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!
Restitutus says: “Restituta, take off your tunic, please, and show us your hairy privates”.
Amplicatus, I know that Icarus is buggering you. Salvius wrote this.
If anyone sits here, let him read this first of all: if anyone wants a screw, he should look for Attice; she costs 4 sestertii.
We have wet the bed, host. I confess we have done wrong. If you want to know why, there was no chamber pot
The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
Let everyone one in love come and see. I want to break Venus’ ribs with clubs and cripple the goddess’ loins. If she can strike through my soft chest, then why can’t I smash her head with a club?
SERIOUSLY GUYS READ THEM ALL.
Reblogging my themeblog here because I love these.
“Theophilus, don’t perform oral sex on girls against the city wall like a dog” omg
oh man I reblogged this and then I actually went to the link and saw this:
“We two dear men, friends forever, were here. If you want to know our names, they are Gaius and Aulus.”
and now I have feelings? T_T
We covered this is my Ancient History HSC. It’s unbelievably interesting and hilarious. Everyone thinks that modern graffiti is crude, but Pompeii blows us completely out of the water. They also had a bit of a phallic obsession; murals, wall-paintings, entire rooms in their villas showed depictions of men with large penises. There was one I remember of a man holding his giant penis on a set of scales. We’re pretty conservative by comparison.
The Graffiti of Pompeii. Wildly sexual, offensive, and brilliant.
Pompeii brothels were great. There were pictures of different services you could buy. I love these people.
"Floronius, privileged soldier of the 7th legion, was here. The women did not know of his presence. Only six women came to know, too few for such a stallion”.
I need that one reaction pic of Stephan’s with the chin; it sums up my reaction :).
Source: Flickr / yelpar
Yesterday, there was a kid near Adventureland who was about 4 years old or so. he was a wearing a princess crown, had a princess wand, the autograph book was princesses, etc. and there was a grown man teasing him about “being gay”. A grown man.
Peter Pan likes to hang around the Adventureland bridge and he happened upon that scene. Not liking what he saw, especially from a grown up, he spoke up:
“Excuse me, sir, but I’m about to give you some advice I never tell anyone: grow up.”