Whats been happening in Scotland for those who don’t know
Scotland has been building up to voting on whether they should become Independent from the United Kingdom since 2012, the Idea’s been in the works since the ’50s. Yes voters want to be independent, No voters want to stay in the UK.
The parties backing Yes are the snp, the greens and the socialists, the parties backing No (also known as better together or no thanks) are the tories, labour, lib dems aka the big 3 of shittery
reasons scotland would want independence
- our votes literally don’t count seriously like in a mentaphor you guys would understand it would be as though our entire country voted democrat but the republicans still got into government because the uk is heavily imbalanced
- literally the population of the whole of scotland = the population of london.
- don’t want to be a part of illegal wars
- the maj. of scotland has a socialist sentiment so you could argue we don’t want to be associated w the capitalist uk
- england has been storing their nuclear weapons here for years, making us a target for attack, because they dont care about scottish lives
- basically used scotland as lab rats for taxes and shitty policies so england didnt suffer
- we have free tuition which the english govt want to take away
- we have free healthcare but westminster wants to privatise it which will badly affect scotland as the poorest nation
during the run up to the independence referendum, (referred to as #indyref for shorthand, &please use the indyref tag to talk abt these issues) the yes campaign released hugely detailed plans for an Independent Scotland, the no side produced nothing but scaremongering and outright lies about mysterious ‘new powers’ scotland would get if we stayed in the uk.
There were huge debates which took ages and i cba hashing out again but basically Yes had a more vocal support.
on the 18th sept we all voted and last night/this morning the results came in as an overwhelming result for No. this is bad as it means scotland is stuck in the racist, imperialist uk which supports illegal wars and looks like it’s going to be run by fascists by the next general election. here’s what happened in the horus following this morning;s announcement
- alex salmond, 1st minister & supporter of independence, resigns
- 'new powers' vanishing into thin air as ed miliband says he won;t sign off of them
- evidence of rigged votes in favour of the no side
- no voters who won the referendum rioting in glasgow, burn the scottish flag
- live feed to glasgow tho it looks quiet in george square atm, violence has taken to the streets
- more on ggow
i don’t know much more yet because this is the first day since the vote + i had no sleep after watching the results till 7am so i’ll be periodically reblogging more stuff as it unfolds. followers in west lothian and glasgow keep safe and maybe hide or obscure your yes flags/stickers to keep yourself safe
basically a lot of uncertainty, people have been literally stabbed and businesses burned down. keep an eye on the indyref and scotland tags + my blog if you want to know the latest. scotland’s time zone is UTC+0.
Q:Not to sound stupid, but what is white feminism? I didn't know there was more that just Feminism.
Egg Nebula processing by Judy Schmidt
The Egg Nebula (also known as RAFGL 2688 and CRL 2688) is a bipolar protoplanetary nebula approximately 3,000 light-years away from Earth.
Its peculiar properties were first described in 1975 using data from the 11 µm survey obtained with sounding rocket by Air Force Geophysical Laboratory (AFGL) in 1971 to 1974.
The 9 Coolest Space Photos From Astronaut Karen Nyberg - Dispatches from Nyberg’s Pinterest page. By Lindsey Kratochwill | PopSci
Our Earth can be a violent, desperate place. Sometimes it’s nice to take a broader view and be reminded the blue marble can also be a beautiful place to live. Astronaut Karen Nyberg joined the International Space Station as a flight engineer for Expedition 35 back in May. Picking up where former ISS denizen Chris Hadfield left off, Nyberg has taken to social media to share some amazing images from above Earth’s atmosphere.
From an inside look at space living (with boards such as “Science in Space" and "Hair and Space”) to breathtaking views of our home planet, Nyberg’s Pinterest page is a goldmine of space photos. Here are our nine favorites.
Images from top to bottom, left to right:
- Water, Sans Gravity - Nyberg calls this “one of the coolest games in space.” In a weightless environment, water behaves quite differently than here on land. Thanks to the effects of surface tension, it tends to form eerily beautiful spheres. Here Nyberg plays with water sans gravity, and refraction, all in one fantastic picture.
- The Nile on July 14, 2013 - From such a distance, the Nile River (which is 4,132 miles long) looks modest as it snakes through Africa.
- Orion - Many of these photos are taken from space and aimed at our home planet. This one, of the constellation Orion on August 15, 2013, gives us an awesome view of the familiar stars. We Earth-bound folk have looked to Orion to predict seasons and the best time to harvest crops. Home to stars such as Betelgeuse, it’s visible in the night sky from October through March.
- Sunset over South America -There’s something incredible about seeing the sunset from space. On July 15, 2013, Nyberg captured that moment over the Rio de la Plata, or River of Silver, which runs through South America. As seen from space, it really lives up to its name.
- Bangkok, Thailand - Like many cities, Bangkok’s skyline doesn’t go to sleep, which adds to the light pollution that makes it so hard to see stars from Earth. You can see that from space in this photo: Here is Bangkok, with veins of city lights streaking through ghostly cloud cover, taken on August 15, 2013
- Canary Islands -Nyberg calls these cloud patterns “really cool.” We agree! The Canary Islands off the coast of Spain may have been a bit overcast on July 6, 2013, but the sunbathers’ loss was clearly to our benefit.
- Clouds on July 26, 2013 - We gaze up at the sky and find shapes in the clouds. Nyberg looks down on the cotton stuff from above. “These look very botanical to me,” she writes.
- Iran - This swirly looking coastal region is Iran along the Persian Gulf.
- Feather Clouds on August 13, 2013 - Some of the most beautiful photos aren’t ruined by cloud cover, rather the clouds take center stage. In this photo of the South Pacific, Nyberg notes she’s “seeing nature in nature.”
id feel bad for miley if she was just expressing her sexuality and getting picked on for it (which she is bc people are shitty)
so yeah im gonna criticize her
I want them to be walking around in a public place, like a grocery store, and suddenly recognize what they did and dissolve into panicked tears. I want them to lie awake at night and spend hours replaying those scenes wishing through choking, pathetic sobs that they could change the endings. I want them to be terrified of being around the opposite sex because it might happen again. I want them to be so deeply ashamed of themselves that they truly believe their own parents would stop loving them if they really knew the truth. I want them to get the cold sweats and shakes whenever someone mentions the word “rape”.
I want them to look at other people who are happy, who have healthy and pleasurable sexual relationships, and feel broken. I want them to feel enraged whenever someone spouts off “just world” philosophy bullshit. I want them to avoid mirrors because they can’t stand to look at themselves. I want them to spend countless nights getting drunk so they’ll finally have the courage to commit suicide only to realize that they’re a coward (just like they already knew). I want them to spend 15 minutes of every hour in the handicap bathroom at work trying to calm themselves down. I want them to feel inescapable panic about half of the time they have sex for years after the fact. I want them to think about my face any time they’re feeling sexual pleasure or getting naked or masturbating and I want that image to crush any hope of arousal.
I want them to explain to a significant other, through hysterics, exactly what happened on those nights. I want them to fear being out in public because it feels like the truth of those experiences is written on their faces. I want them to spend years in therapy. I want people to tell them that their pain is not a big deal and that they should just stop thinking about those nights because honestly, what is it really helping? I want them to feel a deep, unabiding sadness when people tell women not to go out alone or drink too much or wear sexy clothing because they know it’s not going to help a damn thing.
I want them to feel like I know them better than anyone ever could because I was there, I know what they look like when they rape someone. I want them to feel like I’m inside them, all the time, mocking them for every failure, panic attack and sick day. I want them to believe that it’s always going to be like this. I want them to feel like trash, actual use-and-throw-away trash. I want them to feel angry and have no outlet for that anger except their own body. I want them to feel weak and useless. I want them to feel DEFINED by those experiences. I want them to feel like a monster.
I want them to feel like me.
(Rebloggable version of this reply, per request.)
Well, here’s the deal, anon. The Salvation Army is an evangelical Christian group, and they impose those beliefs on the people that they employ and the communities they serve. Here are a few examples:
They are so opposed to LGBT rights that they have lobbied multiple times for exemptions from Federal and Local anti-discrimination laws, and threatened to withdraw their services.
They refused to provide shelter to a homeless gay couple, unless they broke up and renounced their homosexuality.
They refused to provide a transgender woman with shelter that was congruent with her gender presentation, instead insisting she house with men. She chose instead to sleep on the sidewalk and died from the cold.
Speaking of gender, there was also this charming incident where one of their hostels refused to open the door for a 17-year-old victim who had just been brutally raped (or even call the police for her) because that particular hostel had a strict “men only” policy.
Children who can’t prove their immigration status are turned away.
The organization also disposes of any Harry Potter or Twilight related donations (rather than giving them to other charities), because they claim the toys are “incompatible with the charity’s Christian beliefs”.
During the Bush Administration (thanks to ‘faith-based initiatives’) they fired about 20 long-time employees (Jewish, Muslim, Hindu and Gay), simply for refusing to sign the organization’s statement of Christian belief.
So, that—in a nutshell—is what’s wrong with it.
i will never stop spreading the word about how fucking shady the salvation army is
think twice before you donate to the bell-ringers in your local mall this holiday season … i am planning on starting a dialogue with the ones that are set to station themselves outside the store i work in
also one time i volunteered with the salvation army around christmas time being an “elf” and helping parents pick out free donated toys for their kids
which was all well and good until they ESCORTED TWO MEN OUT OF THE BUILDING BECAUSE THEY “LOOKED GAY”
this was a first-hand eyewitness account and i should have left then and there, but seeing as i needed to take the bus back to school…
And this is why I’m starting to donate to other charities around Christmas.
No more red buckets for me.
and theres also how in Australia they have teared apart native aboriginal communities to “christianize” them and make them part of capitalist western society, up until the late 60’s they assisted with the taking of aboriginal children from their families in the stolen generation and put the children into missions where they would follow strict pattern of work and christian education
One of my homies used to do missionary work for them. They picked him because he was Chinese American, and they wanted to do outreach in China. He was escorted at all times, not allowed outside of his hotel room except to eat or go do missionary work, and they would scold him if he was “talking to the wrong people” (aka, a woman, because we know merely exchanging words with a woman is temptation of the flesh!!!!).
He was not being paid. They manipulated and abused him and it’s decades later of him still working out the guilt shit, because they knew he came from an abusive family - so they knew all the buttons to push again, except this time the guilt/abuse tricks were backed up with the hope of the salvation of his soul, the hope being held out that maybe, just this once, if he works hard enough, he would be good enough.
This was not a single case - this was how they rolled. They knew how to pick ‘em, break’em and keep ‘em. Cult organizations and Iceberg Slim got the same moves and the same goals - get theirs at the cost of everyone else’s soul.
And here’s my thing: What part of Christianity demands that you lie and manipulate the people spreading the Good Word? If you’re acting in good faith, you shouldn’t have to abuse people into doing it.
So it says everything about what they’re really about. They fuck over people without, and fuck over the people who work for them too.
Happy birthday, Star Trek. Born stardate September 8, 1966.
That’s not a stardate! Stardates are actually one of the most inconsistent and controversial things in Star Trek fandom. At any rate, it can be calculated as 20152.2 with this page: http://trekguide.com/Stardates.htm#TOS-Calculations
Roddenberry based Star Dates on Julian calender so it could also be 39377.2 I’m just glad the Okudas came up with a standardized warp system for TNG.
spray tan what
it’s not a spray tan, it’s that robert was squeezing that damn hard. XD me too robert, me too.
Actually, what really happened is that Tony gripped Thor tight and raised him from perdition.
This is exactly how I would react if Thor or Chris Hemsworth were right next to me, LMAO.
can someone just draw tony flying thor out of peredition omg
Zoo Brazil feat. Philip - Glass
Get your groove on :)