ok do you see this Legendary Epic woman right here? this is wendy fucking carlos and i’m going to describe to you why wendy carlos is 30 thousand times better than you
- she is a 74 year old trans fucking woman. she remembers having dysphoria at age five and started hrt in 1968. you think transitioning is difficult now? try doing it in 1968. the thought scares the shit out of me.
- her first album, switched on bach, is a literal hour of her playing bach’s music on synthesizers. that’s classical edm. edm wouldn’t exist if she hadn’t brought synthesizers to prominence. the catch? synthesizers in 1968 were monophonic. that means you can only play one note at a time. wendy carlos sat there and played each instrument’s piece of bachs music at least 6 times per symphony, painstakingly overdubbing and rerecording each line, one at a time.
- oh yeah, switched on bach was the first classical album to sell more than 500k copies and she won 3 grammies and stayed on the billboard #1 pop charts for 17 weeks.
- you know tron? that really awesome movie whose sequel daft punk made the ost for? wendy is the original daft punk. tron’s soundtrack was all her; not only that, but so was a clockwork orange and the shining.
- in 1998 this piece of shit momus (aka nick currie on wired) made a song mocking wendy’s sexual orientation. $50k of currie’ money later, she forced him to remove that song from his entire collection, have the master destroyed, and his music career fucking died after that.
figured i’d post this since daft punk keep getting a lot of love. i love daft punk, but they owe their lives to this fucking badass.
Ring Structure Discovered
This picture is a close-up of a section of vertical structures within Saturn’s main rings. The structures pictured are some of the tallest ever seen and cast long shadows as they rise sharply from the edge of the B ring. Taken just before the August equinox in 2009, the pictures shows the Cassini division (top of the image), which is the space between the A ring and the B ring.
The section in this photo shows a 750 mile long (1,200 km) section with the vertical structures spanning a whopping 1.6 miles (2.5 km) above the plane of the rings. This is quite different from the main A, B, and C rings as they typically span 30 feet (10 meters) across.
Cassini scientists hypothesize that large bodies, such as moonlets, up to one kilometer or more in size can be found. These large bodies can have an impact on the ring material around them, forcing particles upwards and potentially causing these structures.
Image & Source Credit: NASA/JPL/SSI
this is everything i never knew i wanted
needs more special effects
I’m not sure what it was that I was expecting.
I had really immature thoughts when I watched this
Source: Laughing Squid
Petroleum Fly (Helaeomyia petrolei)
…a species of Ephydrid fly that is endemic to California. These flies get their common name for their tolerance and love of petroleum H. petrolei larvae will develop in crude oil, swimming near the surface with air-tubes protruding above the surface film, they are also able to submerge for noted periods of time.
Petroleum fly larvae ingest large quantities of oil and asphalt on a daily basis and their guts are often seen full of petroleum. Nutritional experiments have shown that they survive off of animal matter which is present in the oil. Their larvae contain ~300,000 heterotrophic bacteria which are special interest to scientists.